Landlord checklist - what you need to know

5 min read
Published on
July 22, 2022
Customer research
Want blogs directly in your inbox?
Subscribe to our newsletter.

Protect your home

Are you a landlord, interested in becoming one, or want to know what you’ll need to become one? You’ve come to the right place.

Landlords have a lot of responsibilities when it comes to the general maintenance of a property – and there are a few regulations you will be required to meet by law to ensure the property is safe for your tenants.

Here at Big Warranties – we want to make the maintenance of your properties as easy as possible, which is why we have multiple services available to keep your property complying with regulations and law.

Follow our checklist of rules and regulations to ensure your rented properties are up to standard before any tenants move in.

Rules and regulations.

Fire regulations – Your property will need to be equipped with smoke and carbon monoxide alarms – these are usually cheap and easy to install – however, if you have a large property, we can offer installation services through our electrical – click here to find out more.

Gas safety checks/ CP12s – if your property uses gas, you’ll need to provide a yearly gas safety certificate. Click here to read more about what this entails.

EICRS – This is a relatively new government addition (Electrical installation condition report) EICR ensure all electrical installations meet national standards. Click here to find out more.

Boiler services – Boilers need regular servicing to make sure they’re safe and running efficiently, as a landlord you’re legally required to service your boiler every year. Read more about this on our landlord boiler page.

EPC – You’ll need this energy performance certificate which ensures your property is using energy efficiently. Click here to find out more.

You will have to comply with the above (depending on your local council) to obtain a landlord license.

General maintenance.

So, you’ve obtained your licence by acquiring all the mandatory certificates and regulations required. But what about regular home maintenance?

At Big Warranties, we appreciate that our homes need maintenance. Drains get blocked, toilets won't flush, fuses will trip, boilers stop working and washing machines stop spinning – and rented properties are no exception.

Lots of things can go wrong – that can end up costing a lot of money to be repaired. This in many cases will beg the question, what are the landlord's responsibilities?

Appliance repairs.

Has one of your tenants got in contact to explain that one of the white-good appliances you have installed has broken down? Under section 11 it is your responsibility to repair these appliances. Luckily, we offer landlord appliance insurance for as little as £3.49 a month, ensuring if anything goes wrong you would be protected - click here to find out more.

Pest control.

What happens if your tenants have noticed some creepy crawlies scurrying around your property? This could violate health and safety regulations so it’s best to get this sorted ASAP. Read here to find out more regarding our landlord home emergency cover protecting you from a pest infestation.

If something is awry around the property – a fallen shelf, retiling, kitchen fitting, installations, or even painting and decorating – it’s advisable that the landlord sorts it for the tenant to ensure no damage is sustained during a repair. Check out some local handyman services here.

Plumbing repairs

Frozen or burst drains? Loss of heating? These are all things you will be responsible for under section 11 of the landlord and tenant act to maintain a safe interior or exterior structure for your tenants to live in. If you’re facing a plumbing issue or want to know more about how to protect your tenants from a potential plumbing problem, read more about our landlord's home emergency here.

Electrical repairs

Landlords are responsible for the electrical wiring, consumer units, sockets and lighting – therefore if something electrical has gone wrong on your property – you will need to resolve this for your tenants. Click here to read more about the electrical services landlords can protect themselves and their tenants from here.

The above is just some of the many things you need to consider.  Keeping on top of new regulations and legislation is also vital – whether it concerns tenant fees or houses in multiple occupations. With all this in mind, it can be a wise move to take out landlord's home emergency and appliance cover to ensure you are protected from any unforeseen issues in your rented property.

Read more from us

Big Warranties landlord cover. Young female landlord shows male couple paperwork in a property.

Fair wear and tear in rental properties

When renting out a property, it's essential to understand the concept of fair wear and tear. Our blog explains what it is & how you can protect your property.
Ruby Fuller
November 10, 2023
A hand scrubbing away at mould on a wall with hot soapy water

Who is responsible for cleaning mould in a rented property? Our comprehensive guide

Learn about the responsibilities of landlords & tenants in dealing with mould in rented properties in the UK and how you can prevent mould outright.
Ruby Fuller
July 27, 2023
Man looking through paperwork

Landlord's guide to the new renter's reform bill - BIG Warranties

Explore our comprehensive guide on the Renters' Reform Bill. Stay informed about your obligations as a landlord and discover how BIG Warranties can as
Ruby Fuller
June 8, 2023
Join our newsletter

For the latest BIG news and tips on how to keep your cost of living low.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By subscribing you agree to our Communication Policy
We provide a great range of home appliance insurance policies and warranties for landlords and homeowners across the UK, covering ovens, fridges, washing machines, freezers, dishwashers and more. Plus affordable landlord and homeowner home emergency insurance covering boilers, plumbing and drainage and even more.
© {YEAR} BIG Warranties Ltd (Company No. 07002567) is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under FRN No.798998. BIG Warranties Trading Address: Enterprise House, 21 Oxford Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EY