Home emergency insurance FAQs

We believe that home emergency insurance should be simple, which is why we cut the jargon and leave you with nothing but low price policies that offer peace of mind and help in case of a fault. Check out our FAQs to find out more, or feel free to get in touch with our team of experts.

What does home emergency insurance cover?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

Home emergency insurance covers your house for the unexpected from heating to plumbing, electrics to pest control. When something goes wrong let us handle it with our comprehensive home emergency cover.

Do you offer home emergency insurance for landlords as well as homeowners?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

Yes, landlord home emergency cover is a specially designed policy that provides emergency assistance for landlords if the plumbing, drainage, heating or power supply fails in a rented property. This cover can also protect landlords against compromised security and pest infestation in your property.

What levels of cover do you offer?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

We offer several different levels of cover tailored to meet different household needs, whether you need domestic cover or a landlord policy. From our home emergency policy to our complete cover option protecting your boiler, we are sure to have an option to suit your requirements.

Am I covered if my house is burgled?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

Under the policy, action would be taken to make your home secure again until a permanent solution can be found by you.

What will happen if my home becomes uninhabitable?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

If you have selected our home emergency or home emergency and boiler cover where it has not been possible to resolve your emergency, you would be provided with overnight accommodation up to £250.

Isn't this all covered under my home and contents insurance?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

Most home and contents insurance policies do not cover actual emergencies. Our policy is designed to provide cover that compliments your existing home insurance policy – providing much needed aid in emergency situations.

When does my policy begin and how long am I covered for?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

Your policy start date will be shown on your certificate of insurance. Your policy can be be either on an annual basis which continues for a period of twelve months or on a monthly renewable basis.

Is there an age limit for boilers?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

If you have selected boiler cover boilers are covered up to 15 years old.

How do I make a claim?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

If you hold a domestic policy, please call: 0345 030 5925

If you hold a landlord policy, please call: 0345 030 5926

Our terms and conditions can provide you more information about how to make a claim.

Gas leaks must be immediately notified to the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 before calling our claims team.

What is covered for plumbing emergencies?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

If plumbing and drainage is included under your selected cover. We will provide assistance for the bursting or sudden leakage of water pipes within your property or failure of or damage to underground drains or sewers. Toilets are also covered by this policy if it is the only toilet in the house that is inoperable.

Is my roof covered?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

As this policy covers emergencies general maintenance and upkeep of your roof is not covered.

If you have selected our Home Emergency and Boiler policy, we would offer an emergency repair following missing, broken or loose tiles causing internal water damage.

Is there an excess to pay when claiming?
Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

This depends on what you select when you set up the policy. We offer a £95, £60 or no excess option. There is a minimum compulsory excess of £60 on all claims made within the first 90 days of cover if you have selected no excess.

Black arrow outline. Pointing down.

Join our newsletter

For the latest BIG news and tips on how to keep your cost of living low.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
By subscribing you agree to our Communication Policy
We provide a great range of home appliance insurance policies and warranties for landlords and homeowners across the UK, covering ovens, fridges, washing machines, freezers, dishwashers and more. Plus affordable landlord and homeowner home emergency insurance covering boilers, plumbing and drainage and even more.
© {YEAR} BIG Warranties Ltd (Company No. 07002567) is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under FRN No.798998. BIG Warranties Trading Address: Enterprise House, 21 Oxford Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EY